Re: Early diets

Jon. Feinstein (jfeinstein@UMASSD.EDU)
Wed, 4 May 1994 02:31:05 GMT

In article <2q3m8e$lcq@nova.umd.edu>, cm315c09@nova.umd.edu (5121 Student 09) writes:
>Julia T. Lewandowski <jlewando@mail.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>Based
>>on tooth size and morphology, it was generally agreed that gracile
>>australopithecines (A. afarensis and A. africanus) were more omnivorous
>>than their robust counterparts...
>
>Just out of curiosity, do you know if these adaptations would
>have occured from eating shellfish, and the types of food found
>in a salt-marsh environment?
>
>I'm not trying to start a war or anything. I'm only wondering
>if it is possible to distinguish between omnivore, vegitarian, and
>fish eater, or would a fish eater develop along the same lines as
>an omnivore.
>
>My [flame wary] 2 cents.
>David Greene
>cm315c09@nova.umd.edu

A quick addition to my earlier post. On consideration, and keeping
in mind that two classes with Don Johanson (sorry about the name-drop)
still did not make me anything near an expert in dental morphology, I
suppose it is possible that hominids might have eaten shellfish. For
that matter I'm not sure what sorts of fish would have been available,
but keep in mind that some fish can be caught by hand with patience
(now *that* I've done... once) and it doesn't take any particular
agility to catch a herring or a salmon when they're running.

Jonathan Feinstein
* * *
* Jon. Feinstein * "Uuuhhh, Wakko, I don't think this is *
* / Yosef Alaric * Six Flags Over Flushing." *
* * *
* JFeinstein@UMassD.edu * Yakko Warner *
* *