Re: Cultural split between "civilization" and Nature. Info request.

Cameron Laird (claird@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM)
7 Jun 1994 07:53:36 -0500

In article <2sqne3$irv@steele.ohsu.edu>,
Joel Preston Smith <smithjoe@ohsu.edu> wrote:
>Dear Readers:
>
>I am writing an essay (for a book about the natural history
>of urban wildlife) which discusses the cultural dissociation
>of Nature and urban settings. To put it more simply, I'm looking
>for evidence (in the archeological, anthropological or histor-
>ical record) that may illustrate the concept of Nature being
>physically or esthetically driven from the urban landscape.
>Does anyone know of source material which discusses or illustrates
>the separation between Nature and the urban setting? I'm not
[apt illustrations, cogent
explanations, ...]
.
.
.
Pick up
Glacken, Clarence J.
1967 Traces on the Rhodian shore; nature
and culture in Western thought from
ancient times to the end of the
eighteenth century. University of
California Press, Berkeley

It's a classic (I winced when I looked up the copyright
date; it hurts me to think how long it's been since '67),
and, to the best of my knowledge, still regarded as sound
in its scholarship.

You mentioned in your request that what you're seeking
sounds most to you like the perspective of cultural
anthropology, so I'm recommending that we direct follow-
ups to sci.anthropology.

--

Cameron Laird
claird@Neosoft.com (claird%Neosoft.com@uunet.uu.net) +1 713 267 7966