Re: Racism disguised as Anthropology

Steven Sohn (sasohn@worldnet.att.net)
22 Jul 1996 18:53:55 GMT

As an infrequent visitor, it seems to me that Mr.Schmal has over reacted to
something he considers to be politically incorrect. In any event, his use
of the word, "shit" is not called for.

What the recent graduate from Arizona State is promulgating is nothing new,
and it is nothing that does not arouse intense feelings from both sides of
the issue; witness the present "debate."

There is accuracy and inaccuracy in this stuff, as one would expect.
However, it is the kind of thing that should precipitate informed
discussion, not invective. I have no idea who Mr. Schmal may be, but I
think the protestation is out of line with the nature of what he sees as an
offense. The simple fact of slavery as a universal institution that
survives in certain parts of the world today calls for a discussion of the
subject, not the PC silliness of calling it crap, or whatever, and turning
away. Even if one feels the material in question to be the most terrible
drivel in the world, to resort to a similar level is counter productive.
Steven Sohn

Good company and good discourse are the very sinews of virtue.
Izaak Walton, "The Compleat Angler" (1653)
sasohn@worldnet.att.net sasohn@msn.com
vox: 718.421.4598 fax: 718.421.4098
http://www.webcom.com/sasohn
PGP Fingerprint 59 DA 6F F3 35 93 0D 02 CC 07 00 69 86 0E 74 5B

R.Bull/B.Bauer <rbull@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote in article
<rbull-2207961140310001@f182-175.net.wisc.edu>...