Re: Is this paleoanthropology?

Wallace Neslund (morbidia@chattanooga.net)
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:48:08 -0700

pete wrote:

> Mike Muller (muller@flmhh.ufl.edu) sez:
> `Why is this news group debating Atlantis, Life after Death, and Lucifer.
> `It is a waste of time and space to respond to such nonsense. Also it
> `keeps active paleoanthropologists and and other interested parties from
> `engaging in debate. Why check into this group just to read the drivel
> `that has been currently posted. Can't we elevate the discussions here and
> `look at controversial issues with scientific basis and not just wild
> `spectulation?
>
> Well, this is just idle speculation, but maybe it has something to do
> with the recent advent of sci.archaeology.moderated, which has drawn
> off the academics from the free-for-all in sci.arch. The more fervently
> proselytizing wackos may now be casting about for a vaguely related
> forum with an academic audience, on which to inflict their lunacy.
> Then again, maybe it's just a function of the steady growth of internet
> participation, as it steadily seeps down through the intellectual
> strata of society... Man, this was a civil and stimulating place
> five years ago (well, not this particular group, which is only
> about 2 1/2 (or is it 3 1/2) years old).
>
> --
> vincent@triumf.ca <== faster % Pete Vincent
> vincent@vcn.bc.ca (freenet) % Disclaimer: all I know I
> % learned from reading Usenet.

If you don't talk to the wackos, maybe they will all go away. It's worth
a try. I keep having to read through all the junk mail to get to the real
letters. Do like you do at home with junk mail, ignore it, throw it away,
and go on to the mail you really want.

Wally

--
God knows, I don't. - Thomas Aquinas

He's so dumb, he not only doesn't know anything,
He doesn't suspect anything. - unknown