Re: Atlantis - The Lost Continent

bstudio@mcs.net
Thu, 18 Jul 96 10:32:24 PDT

In Article<31ECF592.9BD@tip.nl>, <paul.smith@tip.nl> write:
> Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
> From: Paul Smith <paul.smith@tip.nl>
> Subject: Re: Atlantis - The Lost Continent
> Sender: news@tip.nl (The News User)
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:15:46 GMT
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> > > Assuming that Plato wasn't telling a complete pack of lies (and remember that he was
> > > primarily concerned with telling a moral fable about the virtues of aristocracy rather
> > > than reporting fact), the *legend* of Atlantis was Egyptian. How did Egyptians get an
> > > idea about a lost sunken city?
> >
> > Actually, I was hoping that people would bother to read Plato and find
> > out for themselves that he was telling, while not a complete pack of
> > lies, a tale made up entirely by him to prove his own points.
> >
> > Right before the Timeaus, the question is asked "What would a society
> > run by these philosopher-kings be like?". The Timeaus takes it up
> > "Well, my grandpa Solon heard this story from his granpa Solon on
> > Children's Day (can't remember the original Greek, but that's how it
> > translates: in any case, a day traditionally associated with the telling
> > of tall tales) who heard it whilst in Egypt."
> >
> > And, what do you know? It discusses live under philosopher-kings whose
> > societies match point for point exactly those suggested earlier in the
> > Dialogues. Hmmmm...
> >
> > Also, the Atlantologists never seem to mention Proto-Athens, the main
> > combatant agains Atlantis in its decline, located on the exact same
> > spot that Hellenistic Athens occupied. Funny, maybe that's because we
> > know the archeology of Athens, and there ain't any such city there? Or
> > is it they never bothered to read Plato so they don't know what an important
> > part of the story (not myth, since it wasn't part of the religion; not
> > legend, since it doesn't deal with heroes or heroics) of Atlantis?
> >
> > While many cultures have stories of global floods (the Mediterranean/
> > Mesopotamian almost always being caused by the Storm God upset with the
> > corruption, uncleanliness, or sometimes just the noise of humanity) and
> > vanished cities, there are no records from Egyptian or other Mediterranean
> > or Mesopotamian writings documenting the presence of a Eurasiatic superpower
> > 9000 years before Plato's time (part of the story of Atlantis is that
> > it had conquered all powers in the known world save proto-Athens and
> > its holdings). Sure, some might yet be found, or physical evidence to
> > support it, but none have yet been found, although stone tools and pottery
> > from that interval are known in the region.
> >
> > Why should just some aspects of the Atlantis story be true (according
> > to Atlantologists), but others (proto-Athens, timing, dominance of the
> > Mediterranean/Mesopotamian world) which are clearly indicated in the story
> > be inventions? Why is there no pre-Platonic record of Atlantis in even
> > Greek writing?
> >
> > One distinct possibility is Plato made it up, as a rhetorical device to
> [...]
Paul,

I have a hard time understanding all this anti Atlantis stuff. The fact is
there is plenty of hard evidence that Atlantis, or some superpower, existed
earlier than Plato.

The Pyramids are one. It's hard to imagine that the first men out of the
shell decided to pile up that much stone on just the spur of the moment.

You have to consider all the archaeological evidence scattered around the
Atlantic. In the Yucatan Peninsula, in Mexico etc. This may not been
a single nation but it is evidence of advanced thinking before Plato.

My favorite though, is the Peri Reis map. I have seen a lot of misinformation
about this map but it is certainly evidence of early existance. I have written
a piece on this map and it can be found at http://www.mcs.net/~bstudi/

This is one of my favorite subjects.

Think Positive

Norb