Re: AAH

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 19:18:40 GMT

In article <4s9ltf$sfg@kira.cc.uakron.edu>,
david l burkhead <david8@dax.cc.uakron.edu> wrote:
>In article <rfoyDuIDwE.7rz@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com (Richard Foy) writes:

I admire your skill in posting. It could qualify you to run for
public office.

You left off the premise of my post.

>>1. If newborns kick in water, it may or may not be an indication that
>>the kicking is an aquatic adaption.
>
> Perhaps you should explain how you are using the term
>"indication" here. If a newborn continues a behavior that it exhibits
>on land in the water it provides no special evidence of aquatic
>anything. The only way kicking in water might be evidence of aquatic
>adaptation would be if it were a behavior not observed out of water.

Is my statement wrong or correct?

>>2. If newborns kick when born on land it tends to support the idea
>>that newborns have an instinct to kick. It provides as by itself
>>absolutely no data regarding the cause of the instinct.
>
> Exactly. It provides absolutely no data regarding the cause of
>the instinct--even if the behavior continues when the newborn is in
>the water. If the behavior were something seen _only_ in water, then
>it _might_ be evidence of some kind of aquatic past. Since it is not,
>it isn't.

The post you are responding to was a discussion of your logic not a
discussion of water kick > aquatic ape.

Have you considered running for poltical office.

You left out my concusion.

> Newborns kick. That they continue to do so in water does not
>provide evidence of anything. I suspect that if you took an infant up
>in the Space Shuttle and chucked it out the airlock it would continue
>to kick in vaccuum (for a few seconds at least). Would this provide
>evidence of a "spacefaring ape"?

Newborns or adults kicked out iof an airlock, without a space suit,
would not kick for a few seconds. They would "explode" instantly.

That does not of coure provide evidence that humans are made of
dynamite.

--
"The form is the content in motion, and the content is the form at
rest." --Northrup Frye

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/udc.html Unity and Diversity