Re: Clarification on relationship between Morphology and genes

James Borrett (jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk)
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:59:01 +0100

MacNetscape User at Texas A&M wrote:

> Is this contradictory from the 6% of our genetic constitution, that
> I have read elsewhere (Discover Magazine for instance), been
> attributable to "race"? or I am misinterpreting Boyce?

I don't know that actual figures but the genetic difference within, say,
the caucasian population is greater than the average genetic difference
between caucasians and negroes, so the figures can get very complicated.
The only genetic difference that is really involved in race is the
miniscule amount that determines race itself by affecting skin and hair
colour. The rest of human genetic variation doesn't correlate with race
at all.