Re: Atlantis - The Lost Continent

cyberguy (cyberguy@IntNet.Net)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 00:55:36 -0700

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> cyberguy <cyberguy@IntNet.Net> wrote:
> >
> > MJAttree wrote:
> > >
> > > Great idea for Atlantis newsgroup.
> > >
> > > I don't agree about the Aegeon though - I prefer Bimini.================================
> > Bimini is probably not the only site. Take a map, look at how much land
> > there would be if you took 400 feet of water out of the oceans.
> > Room for LOTS of lost islands and lord knows what's hidden under the
> > water now. If you go cave diving off Yucatan you can find caves 200 and
> > more feet down with stalactites etc and cave paintings and carvings. All
> > is NOT as it seems on this planet. When the glaciers melted everything
> > along the existing 'coast' went under. Even now most major cities are
> > along the coasts. How much got wiped out? Now THERE is a field for
> > underwater archeology. CYBER GUY
>
> For those interested in Atlantis: please, Please, PLEASE reread Plato
> youself (Penguin Books has translation of the Timeaus and Criteaus
> (horrible misspellings, my copies are at home))!! There is a LOT of
> misinformation on the subject, perpetuated by Atlantologists, out there.
>
> So, before you start poking around submarine limestone crevices formed
> by well understood erosion processes, the least you can do is read the
> original material and see what it *really* says...
>
> (There's another ref, but I'll have to bring that from home to post
> the proper information).================================

Ha Ha - I can't believe the off hand dismissal without inspection. How
unscientific. Have you ever been cave diving off Yucatan? An Olmec type
head in a cave under almost 400 feet of water is pretty hard to confuse
with a natural limestone erosive product - so is a cave painting and
other artifacts, including stalactites showing the cave was open to the
air at some time. The existence of such things has nothing to do with
'Atlantis' but I personally SUSPECT that the 'great flood' was from
melting ice!!!! (unless some tipped the planet on its axis and the oceans
sloshed about a lot) Have you ever seen the sunken city out on one of
the Pacific islands - stone buildings and carvings etc. underwater. Fact
is theres all kinds of stuff that can be covered under 400 feet of post
glacial melt. And which would have to be added into the equation of
history. Just as things like green glass under layers of mud hut
civilizations in the mid east. All is NOT as it appears on this planet.
cyber guy