Re: PROOF OF LIFE AFTER DEATH

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:15:46 GMT

In article <4rtubh$hjf@kira.cc.uakron.edu>,
david l burkhead <david8@dax.cc.uakron.edu> wrote:
>In article <rfoyDuA5no.2FA@netcom.com> rfoy@netcom.com (Richard Foy) writes:
>>In article <31E19F2D.3258@megafauna.com>,
>>Stephen Barnard <steve@megafauna.com> wrote:

>>>Well, I guess that settles it. I can't express how relieved I am.
>>>
>>>(NOT)
>>

>>Have you read any of the work on Near Death Experiences?
>>
>>If so what is your opinion o what is going on with them?
>
> I can't speak for Stephen, but I've read some of that "work" (as
>well as some of the real work done by real researchers). A lot of
>what passes for "work" is the gosh-wow stories of the credulous (the
>kind of thing you see on "Sightings" and "Unsolved Mysteries").

It is not clear from this who's stuff you are including in the
category of "work" or gosh-wow stories and who's stuff you arfe
incoluding as "real work."

> However, work has been done (I'll see if I can find the author
>I'm most familiar with--it's been a while and I can't remember her
>name offhand) involving the actual physiology involved. Several of
>the typical phenomena (the "floating above the body" and "moving down
>a long dark tunnel" hallucinations) have been linked to known
>psycological and physiological effects in the brain under conditions
>that include those of "Near Death Experiences." As for visions of
>peole, religious figures, etc., well, when oxygen is cut off to the
>brain, you hallucinate. No great mystery there. What you hallucinate
>will be based on what's already _in_ your brain--memories, religious
>beliefs, etc. There are enough people out there who get into this
>kind of situation that occassionally you'd expect to hit the
>"jackpot." (Somebody hallucinated a living grandmother is ignored
>while somebody who hallucinates a dead grandmother has a "near death
>experience.")
>
> Again, I'll try to track down the author who wrote up some
>interesting research on the subject.

The explanations you cite above do not explain some of the more
compelling data that I have seen.

I wonder, however, if this ng is the proper place to continue this
thread?

--
"The form is the content in motion, and the content is the form at
rest." --Northrup Frye

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/udc.html Unity and Diversity