Re: Atlantis - The Lost Continent

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. (th81@umail.umd.edu)
9 Jul 1996 15:43:23 GMT

cyberguy <cyberguy@IntNet.Net> wrote:

> MJAttree wrote:
> >
> > Great idea for Atlantis newsgroup.
> >
> > I don't agree about the Aegeon though - I prefer Bimini.================================
> Bimini is probably not the only site. Take a map, look at how much land
> there would be if you took 400 feet of water out of the oceans.
> Room for LOTS of lost islands and lord knows what's hidden under the
> water now. If you go cave diving off Yucatan you can find caves 200 and
> more feet down with stalactites etc and cave paintings and carvings. All
> is NOT as it seems on this planet. When the glaciers melted everything
> along the existing 'coast' went under. Even now most major cities are
> along the coasts. How much got wiped out? Now THERE is a field for
> underwater archeology. CYBER GUY

For those interested in Atlantis: please, Please, PLEASE reread Plato
youself (Penguin Books has translation of the Timeaus and Criteaus
(horrible misspellings, my copies are at home))!! There is a LOT of
misinformation on the subject, perpetuated by Atlantologists, out there.

So, before you start poking around submarine limestone crevices formed
by well understood erosion processes, the least you can do is read the
original material and see what it *really* says...

(There's another ref, but I'll have to bring that from home to post
the proper information).