Re: Bipedalism and theorizing... was Re: Morgan and creationists

James Borrett (jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk)
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 11:20:04 +0100

Richard Foy wrote:

> In article <31DB42FC.2D23@chattanooga.net>,
> Wallace Neslund <morbidia@chattanooga.net> wrote: Due to this, Homo females
> >early on developed a large soft breast to act as a shock absorber to
> >cushion the head and brain. In a feed back loop of larger
> >breasts and better brain growth, Hss females developed the large breast
> >seen today.

Elaine Morgan suggested in "The Descent Of Woman" in 1972 that the human
female breast shape evolved because we lost our hair, so the babies could
no longer hold on and pull themsleves to the nipple when being
breast-fed, so the breast shape gives them something to hold onto and
makes the nipple more accessible. (She then went on to compare the breast
shape of humans with the breast shape of dugongs).