Re: Savannah strawman

Harry Erwin (herwin@gmu.edu)
Sun, 07 Jul 1996 08:09:49 -0400

In article <31DC5FD1.1284@flmhh.ufl.edu>, Mike Muller
<muller@flmhh.ufl.edu> wrote:

> This messeage is not from Mike Muller.
> Re: Holloway and Shreeve

---

> Studying morphology alone is no longer enough. Other fields
> have moved forward and let go off the old dogma of the last fifty years
> Only paleoanthropology seems to be clinging to it with its last dying
> breaths.

Unfortunately, we don't yet know how to correctly quantize character or
biochemical changes to estimate the probability of various evolutionary
trees. See the continuing discussions on sci.bio.systematics. Hominine and
hominid evolution are particularly messy. So studying morphology is not
enough: until we have quantifiable models of character/biochemical
evolution that hold up when exposed to real data, we remain in a position
very similar to that of neuroscientists studying the mind--we don't know
what questions to ask, let alone what the answers are.

--
Harry Erwin Internet: herwin@gmu.edu
Web Page: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin