Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 05 Jul 96 21:38:18 GMT

In article <CheetahPRO_v0.04_3742@desco.demon.co.uk>
elaine@desco.demon.co.uk "Elaine Morgan" writes:

> 5 Though it is just remotely possible that we both inherited
> knuckle-walking strategies and our ancestors later abandoned them, it is
> highly unlikely. In the ape fetus but not the human one knuckle pads are
> not found; there is no trace that we ever had them

I have hair on the backs of my hands and on the proximal phalanx
of each finger, whereas the last two phallanges of each finger are
hairless. These latter would have been in contact with the ground
and possessed knuckle pads had my ancestors ever knuckle-walked.
Is this a common hss feature? If so, is it evidence of a knuckle-
walking lca?

Paul.