Re: Morgan and creationists

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 14:40:08 GMT

In article <4re67n$b6p@portal.gmu.edu>,
HARRY R. ERWIN <herwin@mason2.gmu.edu> wrote:
>Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
>The following is a working hypothesis. The most obvious way bipedalism is
>advantageous (given the quantitative studies on locomotor efficiency) is
>sensory. You can see further in environments where you have to move on the
>ground if your eyes are far off the ground. That means you can move
>further away from a tree on the ground and safely get back. That means you
>have a selective advantage over knuckle-walkers in the _forested_-savannah
>biome. Knuckle-walkers can live there, and you can live in the forest
>biome, but the rule of relative advantage applies, and both species can
>survive.

It seems to me that the most obvious way bepedalism is advantageous
is that it allows the fore limbs to be used for carrying tools and
weapons. How far back in the evolutionary process this advantage
became important is not so obvious.

--
"Do you know why Moses wandered in the wilderness for fourty years."(pause)
He was a man and men don't ask directions." --Nun in the play Nunsense

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/womquote.html Womens Quotations