Re: Morgan and creationists

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 02 Jul 96 23:11:00 GMT

In article <4rbme2$28m@portal.gmu.edu>
herwin@mason2.gmu.edu "HARRY R. ERWIN" writes:

> : > The following null hypothesis is probably testable:
> : >
> : > "The lineage leading to H. sapiens experienced a phase extending over
> : > three chronospecies during which it was adapted to aquatic foraging
> : > behavior."

Given the length of the phase you specify and your definition of
"aquatic foraging" (finding food below the surface and having
sensory systems adapted to working under water) you've not set
yourself a hard task. What grounds do you have for ruling out
intertidal foraging? Was there something preventing early
(aquatic?) hominids from leaving the water? I have to say that
your primary objective seems to be the setting up of a strawman.

In any case, you are engaged in a deeply fundamental exercise of
self-deception. You have not got a working/alternative hypothesis.
Or if you have you are not willing to subject it to the same sort
of tests. Without one, a null hypothesis has no function.

How about this (2):
"The lineage leading to H. sapiens experienced a phase extending over
three chronospecies during which it was adapted to woodland foraging
behavior." ^^^^^^^^

Or this (3):
"The lineage leading to H. sapiens experienced a phase extending over
three chronospecies during which it was adapted to littoral foraging
behavior." ^^^^^^^

Or this (4):
"The lineage leading to H. sapiens experienced a phase extending over
three chronospecies during which it was adapted to savanna foraging
behavior." ^^^^^^^

In each case you are back to the same old and unanswered (by you)
problems: "What food did it eat?" "What nocturnal refuge did
it find?" "How did the mother/infant dyad avoid and escape
predators while foraging during the day?".

Tests? How about putting groups of h.s.s. in environments which
model as closely as possible those proposed. Make sure that are
populated with appropriate species: say, leopards, chimps and
gorillas -- all habituated to man so that the instinctive fear of
modern h.s.s. is counteracted. The men and women should go around
naked and have *no* technology (except for dire emergencies) beyond
that of early hominids:- clubs and the crudest of stone tools.
Ideally they should have babies and small children; if this is not
possible they must somehow emulate them, possibly with animals or
with very attractive and noisy bundles of food. They would have to
forage for food and find shelter as though they were early hominids
carrying their "babies" and caring for their "small children".

The winning scenario would be that with the best "survival" ratio.

Where would you place your bets - on the woodland, littoral or
savanna groups?

Paul.