Re: Large animal extinctions caused by early man

Timo Niroma (timo.niroma@tilmari.pp.fi)
30 Jun 1996 23:08:38 GMT

In article <31D7013A.1EA@megafauna.com>, Stephen Barnard
<steve@megafauna.com> says:

>Bob Keeter wrote:
>>
>> Sounds reasonable to me! While I might not go so far as to
>> say that mankind didnt contribute to the demise of at least
>> some of the mentioned megafauna, but to give a scattering of
>> nomads armed with stone tools credit for killing off the
>> megafauna is a bit of an ego trip. Case in counter-point,
>> (snips)
>
>One point of view that I've heard is that Pleistocene megafauna
>survived in Africa because they had the opportunity to co-evolve with
>humans. The Pleistocene fauna in the Americas, however, were clueless
>and therefore vulnerable.
>
>I don't know whether it's true, but it's plausible.
>
> Steve Barnard

If we give any credence to the old legends and stories of floods and
fires plus great devastations, the most detailed and realistic are
given us from Paleo-Indians and the Northern peoples (in Edda for
example).

Thus if my pet theory of an asteroidal or a cometal impact is right,
there is a self-evident reason why the Northern America suffered the most
and Africa hardly at all.

The Flood stories are better known from the Middle East, but they are
more vague, which means, that even if the tsunamis and earthquakes felt
there caused much damage, the place of the hit of the asteroid or the
comet was in the North Atlantic.

Timo