Re: Tool use in australopithicenes

Brad Woodcock (woodcock@taz.cecer.army.mil)
19 Jul 1995 18:08:49 GMT

herwin@osf1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:

>J Sharpe (JRSHARPE@MECHANICAL.watstar.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:
>: ---trimmed---
>: Did the Australopithicenes use stone tools (ie, the Oldowan tool industry),
>: or did they not come around into H. habilis showed up?

>The robusts were apparently stone tool-users. Whether the gracials were
>prior to habilis is moot last I heard.

>--
>Harry Erwin
>Internet: herwin@gmu.edu
>Home Page: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin (try a couple of times)
>PhD student in comp neurosci: "Glitches happen" & "Meaning is emotional"
Can we get a citation on this? Last I heard (May 1995) no evidence at all
had been found that was reasonably accepted that indicated that
australopiths used tools of any kind. I personally believe that they did,
but the evidence was completely lacking when I studied human evolution this
spring.

--
Brad Woodcock The Trolls Guild
woodcock@thoth.cecer.army.mil "We're here to make you