Re: I Actually Saw a Live Pith...

Daniel Yee (danny@cs.su.oz.au)
24 Jul 1995 16:53:50 +1000

Phil Nicholls <pnich@globalone.net> wrote:
>IF you want to respond to a troll, do so by email. Responding
>publically only encourages them. They are seeking attention and the
>best way to get them to go away is to not give it to them.

I think there is some confusion here about what a troll is. For an
example of a troll, see the "Prime numbers and African Artifact"
thread. A good troll is something which will afford amusement to many
people; they are quite hard to produce. (The above mentioned troll
didn't catch anyone here much, but the sci.math people had some fun
with it.)

To call what the latest objectionable entity has been doing trolling
is a complete misuse of the term. He is ignorant, boring, unoriginal,
offensive, and he lacks a sense of humour.

Danny Yee.