Re: Bipedalism and other factors

Clara N. Fitzgerald (cfitzger@s.psych.uiuc.edu)
16 Jul 1995 03:06:08 GMT

pnich@globalone.net (Phil Nicholls) writes:

>patdooley@aol.com (Pat Dooley) wrote:

>>Re: Bipedalism and other factors
>>>From: herwin@gmu.edu (Harry Erwin)
>>
>>I wrote:

>>Other unique adaptations that facilitate human diving include:

>>1 .Hairlessness ( to reduce drag on descent and ascent)

>I believe there are studies that show that it actually makes no
>difference.
[How often do you go swimming? Just curious] There's an large
sports swimming culture convinced that shaving down lets them go faster.
Hence swim caps, etc. I don't have much body hair, but my head hair
is about a foot long, and braided is less drag than a pony tail, which
is vastly less than loose (Makes butterfly very difficult; neck
snaps back). Should I post these studies on the rec.sport.swimming
group?

>>3. Descended larynx

>The neandertal larynx is only partially descended compared to our own.
Could they breathe air into their lungs through their mouths, and
how easily (compared to us) did they choke?
>More importantly, newborn infants do not have a descended larynx.
What exactly do you mean by "more importantly"? This is evidence
that the choking hazard from a descended larynx is significant?

>>4. Bipedalism (keeps legs, spine and head in one plane)

>There are no aquatic bipeds.
Penguins are mentioned periodically...