Re: Tears

David L Burkhead (r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu)
14 Jul 1995 18:18:59 GMT

In article <194970686wnr@desco.demon.co.uk> Elaine@desco.demon.co.uk
writes:
[ 8< ]
>In certain cases of damage to the trigeminal
>nerve, the patient is unable to produce tears in response to
>irritation, but can still weep copiously out of grief or sympathy.

Which proves exactly what?

This is no evidence whatsoever in favor of the claim that tears
are, or were, a salt excretion system. If it's meant as one more
thing that's supposed to show how different we are from other primates
or savannah animals, then please point to the aquatic mammal that "can
still weep copiously out of grief or sympathy."

David L. Burkhead
r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu

--
Spacecub - The Artemis Project - Artemis Magazine

Box 831
Akron, OH 44309-0831