Re: Speech in H. erectus

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
11 Jul 1995 21:32:09 GMT

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.91.950711130524.9954A-100000@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu>,
Ralph L Holloway <rlh2@columbia.edu> wrote:

>What bothers me about the poor Homo erectus youth WT 15000 is that it was
>a youth of about 15-18 years old, and its spinal vertebrae had to have been

Where does that age figure come from? Everything else I've read says he
was about 11-12, if his teeth are judged by modern criteria, and there
is some evidence that he matured somewhat faster than H. sapiens,
putting his real age at 9. (Origins Rediscovered, Leakey and Lewin,
1992)

--
Jim (Chris) Foley, jim.foley@symbios.com
Assoc. Prof. of Omphalic Envy Research interest: