Re: AAT Questions...

Alex Duncan (aduncan@mail.utexas.edu)
9 Jul 1995 17:39:56 GMT

>>George B.Schaller writes:In Kabara the gorrillas seemingly enjoy the
>>sun when it appears.Their reaction is often immediate:they roll onto
>>their backs,spread their arms above their heads or to the side,and
>>expose their chests to the rays.I have observed animals lie in the
>>direct sun for more than two hours,with beads of sweat forming on
>>their upper lip and rivulets of it running down the chest.
>>From:The Mountain Gorilla.Ecology and Behaviour. University of Chicago
>>Press.1963.page 295 in the midway reprint.

>Since the evidence appears to be anecdotal, I wouldn't give it much
weight
>until other possible causes had been eliminated; e.g. saliva, residual
>moisture
>in their fur, etc.

-Gorillas generally don't have fur on their chests. Do you actually know
-ANYTHING about comparative primate anatomy. I would suggest taking a
-course or reading a book.

-Alex Duncan

TK> Excuse me.. but it does not appear from Pat's message, at least the
one
TK> that you quoted, that he says anything about gorillas having hair on
their
TK> chests.
TK> So why the torrid reply?

TK> Troy Kelley

Yes, it was a torrid reply. I apologize. Somehow, getting into
arguments in the net serves the same function for me that aggressive and
idiotic highway driving does for other people. I've looked back over
several of my posts from the last week or so, and they are far too
vitriolic to be considered civil. Again, I apologize, especially to Mr.
Dooley.
But why the flame in the first place? Schaller's observation
notes gorillas laying on their backs, with sweat pouring over their
chests. The chest of gorillas is generally hairless. Mr. Dooley
suggests that the moisture could have come from "residual moisture in
their fur". This is unlikely, for the reason stated above. The same is
true for their faces, which are also generally hairless.

Alex Duncan
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712-1086