Re: "Was Neanderthal White ?"

Jim Foley (jimf@vangelis.FtCollins.NCR.com)
5 Jul 1995 18:44:06 GMT

In article <3td6ur$m0s@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Layne1914 <layne1914@aol.com> wrote:

>There are interesting debates published in "Current Anthropology", esp. on
>the pelvises of Neanderthal females (from 1985-present). The contention
>is that Neanderthals may have been born larger and more mature than our
>own "ancestors." The Neanderthal female pelvises are proported to be
>larger and gestation periods estimated to be of longer duration. It's a
>fascinating debate regardless.

This sounds like a claim Erik Trinkaus made that Neandertals may have
had longer gestation than modern humans. I forget the exact wording,
but in "The Neandertals", Trinkaus and Shipman 1992, he retracts this
claim, or at least says that it is unsupported.

Jim (Chris) Foley, jim.foley@symbios.com
Assoc. Prof. of Omphalic Envy Research interest:
Department of Anthropology Primitive hominids
University of Ediacara (Australopithecus creationistii)