Re: AAT Questions...

Pat Dooley (patdooley@aol.com)
5 Jul 1995 20:24:44 -0400

ghanenbu@inter.nl.net (Gerrit Hanenburg) writes:

>George B.Schaller writes:In Kabara the gorrillas seemingly enjoy the
>sun when it appears.Their reaction is often immediate:they roll onto
>their backs,spread their arms above their heads or to the side,and
>expose their chests to the rays.I have observed animals lie in the
>direct sun for more than two hours,with beads of sweat forming on
>their upper lip and rivulets of it running down the chest.
>From:The Mountain Gorilla.Ecology and Behaviour. University of Chicago
>Press.1963.page 295 in the midway reprint.

Did he get a sample of the alleged sweat? Was it eccrine or apocrine
sweating?
Since the evidence appears to be anecdotal, I wouldn't give it much weight
until other possible causes had been eliminated; e.g. saliva, residual
moisture
in their fur, etc.

In laboratory tests, the experimenters were not able to induce sweating in
chimpanzees even when the temperature was taken above the range
they would naturally encounter. (My source is Elaine Morgan's work. I
haven't checked her citations on this issue).

Pat D