Re: Homo erectus

Harry Erwin (herwin@gmu.edu)
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 22:04:19 -0400

In article <3su8jo$c7k@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, Alex Duncan
<aduncan@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> >> Okay, here is another memory test.
> >> This time, on H. erectus and his tool industry.
> >> Any corrections would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Homo Erectus - Java and Peking Man
> >> ==================================
> >>. 1.5 mya - 400 kya
>

> In article <herwin-2706952219030001@192.0.2.1> Harry Erwin,
> herwin@gmu.edu write
>
> >1.9+ to 0.4- MYr
>
> There are old references to Chinese and Javanese H. erectus dated to
> nearly 2.0 Myr. In most cases those were based on biased interpretations
> of limited paleomagnetic data (like the White et al. claim for the age of
> A. ramidus). Right now I think 1.8 Myr is the oldest well-dated H.
> erectus.

Probably, although the KBS tuff is at 1.88 MYr, and there's some
post-cranial stuff below it that may be H. erectus.

> A comment about Ngandong. Most folks seem to agree its about 200,000 yrs
> old. They don't agree on whether they belong to H. erectus or not. They
> have a confusing combination of features -- larger brains than most H.
> erectus combined w/ robust, well-buttressed crania. (if you have casts,
> check out the occipital region -- these guys (& girls) were BUILT).

Rightmire seems to accept that stuff as H. erectus, and so does my
database, linking it with the earlier Javan material. It may be a late
survival.

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: herwin@gmu.edu