Re: There are racists; but no races.

smaceach@polar.bowdoin.edu
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:11:07 -0600

bwhit@conterra.com wrote:

> Anthropology is the wholly owned subsidiary of the most Politically
> Correct social science of all, sociology.

Anthropology isn't a sub-discipline of sociology, Bob. They may co-locate
in the same Department, as mine does... but my last office was in a
Department of Archaeology in an Earth Sciences building. Doesn't mean
it's a part of geology.

> In the 1930's, it was white supremacist, but on
> May 8, 1945, Scientific Anthropology had a Great Awakening: Boas ecame
> the Only True Anthropologiist.

Ohhh, Gawd... Boas was dominant in North American anthropology from the turn of
the century onward (he got his first _Festschrift_ in 1906, IIRC), and was
attacking 'scientific racism' through the whole period. The idea that
anthropology was dominated by 'white supremacy' in the 1930s is ludicrous.

> His heresy book, *Origin of Races*, took care of Boas' Scientific
> Anthropology in about two pages.

Wonderful. Does it say anything about the last 65 years in the discipline?

> 1) Coon was stupid and insane and 2) his work is the basis of today's
> parallel developement theories of mankind's developement. It depends on
> what mood you're in.

Not according to Milford Wolpoff... the multi-regionalists stay well
away from Coon. Wolpoff talks about quite significant levels of gene
flow between different populations -- he has to, 'cause the big problem
that Coon never solved was how you have many millennia of separate
development by 'races' with very different characteristics and then
no sub-speciation/problems with inter-breeding at the end.

> Back in the 1950's, the official Politically Correct line was that
> anyone who belived in heredity was A Nazi Who Wanted To Kill Six Million
> Jews.

Including Watson and Crick... ?

> To say there is no white race is to admit you are out to destroy it,

Ohhh... this is one of the funniest things I've seen on Usenet this year.
€When I use a word,€ Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, €it means
just what I choose it to mean€neither more nor less.€

Scott