Re: Is Bob Only Exaggerating?

smaceach@polar.bowdoin.edu
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:41:09 -0600

<frank@clark.net> wrote:

> I'd like to know of a case of someone getting tenure, within the last
> decade, who has openly held these positions. And I'd like even more to
> know of a case where someone openly claiming that whites are innately more
> intelligent than blacks getting tenure.

Take a look at the people who get Pioneer Fund money, and their grad
students. Numbers of them are tenured, although I'm not sure about the
last decade -- why then, especially? But look at Philipe Rushton, at
University of Western Ontario, for example -- fulfills your criteria
and, when his beliefs became controversial, the educational establishment
held its collective nose and defended his right to tenure. And he still
has it. Does trash anthropology, but he's still tenured.

> Less exaggeratedly: There were other mass killings than those of the
> Nazis, such as those undertaken when Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot were
> in power. But liberal opinion regards Hitler as far worse because of his
> racial ideas. Is this the case?

_Far_ worse...? You could, I suppose, examine genocide along the axes
of numbers of dead, rationale and techniques. Under those criteria,
Hitler probably leads the pack of monsters for the 20th century at
least, likely neck-and-neck with Stalin and Mao. Monsters are monsters.
OTOH, I actually don't see the latter being defended with the passion
with which revisionists defend Hitler. Have you seen anyone within the
last few years seriously deny that Stalin's purges happened?

Scott