Re: Social evolution of hominids

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:34:17 -0800

ailak@walrus.megabaud.fi wrote:

> susansf@netcom.com wrote:
>
> > What is your basis for this recent acquisition of monogamous behavior?
^^^^^^

> Without a weighed order:
> - presence of separate promiscuous cultures.

This could also be evidence for ANCIENT acquisition of one-one pair
bonding.

> - staggering performance of human monogamy in normal life throughout
> the world.

With a 50% divorce rate here in the States, I would prefer to use
the phrase "temporary pair bonding" in place of "monogamy".
Secondly, this evidence you give could just as easily be used for
ancient acquisition of this trait.

> - scarcity of genetically fixed traits to support monogamy.

How do you know this, and how scarce are these "monogamy"-genes?

> - elaborate cultural network of taboos and customs which has been
> raised in every culture to support monogamy.

Again, this could just as easily be used to suggest ancient acquisition,
and not recent acquisition.

> - collapse of monogamy, where cultural demands weaken.

This could also suggest that this trait could have arisen and then
went "extinct" many times in hominid evolution.

> - economy-linked polarity of sexual relations in primitive cultures.
> Where women provide much of living, promiscuity prevails, where most
> food comes from men, monogamy, in general.

Actually, history shows that in certain cultures, when men possess
most of the influence in a society, polygamy can also be socially-
accepted.
And when polygamy is practiced in human society, it is ?always one
man with multiple wives. I am not aware of any historical accounts
of the reverse being the case. Anyone?
<pb>