Re: Review of Human Evolution

Ed Conrad (edconrad@sunlink.net)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:49:00 GMT

On 12 Jan 1997 19:52:53 GMT, jsterl7511@aol.com (JSterl7511) wrote:

>One of my intellectual passions is the study of human evolution (I had
>previously been a grad student in biological anthropology twenty years
>ago). However, my job and other commitments preclude me from following
>the field as closely as I would like to. Has there been a review article
>recently published, either in the scientific or lay press, that summarizes
>the current state of knowledge of human evolution covering the period from
>about 6 million years ago to the present and which catalogs and summarizes
>the major fossil finds (human ancestral and human). Thanks.
>
>John Sterling
>JSterl7511@aol.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John, FYI, a multitude of review articles about human evolution has
been published recently in the scientific and lay press.

Unfortunately, stacked together -- a height of approximately 17-feet,
6 3/4 inches -- they fail to contain half as much truth as is found in
the following two eye-opening paragraphs which appear in the yellowed
pages of the book, ``Apes, Men and Morons," written by the late Dr.
Earnest A. Hooton, longtime professor of anthropology at Harvard
University:

> ``I am also convinced that science
> pursues a foolish and possibly
> fatal policy when it tries to keep up