Re: Review of Human Evolution

Michael McBroom (bodhi@earthlink.net)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:56:29 -0500

debra mckay wrote:

> jsterl7511@aol.com (JSterl7511) wrote:
> >One of my intellectual passions is the study of human evolution (I had
> >previously been a grad student in biological anthropology twenty years
> >ago). However, my job and other commitments preclude me from following
> >the field as closely as I would like to. Has there been a review article
> >recently published, either in the scientific or lay press, that summarizes
> >the current state of knowledge of human evolution covering the period from
> >about 6 million years ago to the present and which catalogs and summarizes
> >the major fossil finds (human ancestral and human). Thanks.
> >
> >John Sterling
> >JSterl7511@aol.com
>
> Try _The Fossil Trail_ by Ian Tattersall (1995, Oxford University Press); it
> includes _Ardipithecus ramidus_ (but while it was still Australopithecus);
> it summarizes the major finds and also the philosophical stances which have
> influenced interpretation--at least as important as the finds themselves,
> IMHO.

An outstanding book, yes, and one that provides a decent refresher on
evolutionary theory, as well. I highly recommend it. I can also
recommend _From Lucy to Language_ by Johanson and another author whose
name escapes me. It's expensive, but the photography is exquisite.

Regards,

Michael McBroom
CSUF Linguistics