Re: Social evolution of hominids (long)

debra mckay (debra.mckay@utoronto.ca)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 20:18:38 GMT

ailak@walrus.megabaud.fi wrote:

>susansf@netcom.com wrote:
>snip
>> Comparing orangs, gorillas, chimps and bonobos isn't particularly usef
>> since we have very little evidence of social behaviors of protohominid
>> and the common ancestor of humans and apes.
>snip
>> The degree of sexual dimorphism between a human male and a human femal
>> would at least suggest that differences in size between the sexes nowh
>> near approaches that of modern apes such as the orang and gorilla. Wha
>> would this suggest to you?
>snip
>

>This is a hypothetical succession of events, based on what I know :

[speculation snipped]

>6 The human line appears in sight in flesh and blood in the !kung
>san. Full humans, definitely our species, but still retaining the
>ancient promiscuous social structure. They have been pushed to the
>edge and probably still need group cooperation more than any other
>people. There may be other people who have retained such strategy,
>but anthropologists seem to have difficulties in presenting these
>results.

Could you please provide a reference to support this notion you
have that the !kung somehow are prehistoric remnants? *And* that
they retain some kind of "ancient promiscuous social structure"?
I have looked for evidence of this in my own references, but I haven't
found any evidence of the latter, and I *know* they are not the former,
because *no* extant people are, no matter what their lifestyle might
*look* like.