Re: Neanderthal

Michael Plant (sisaki@bora.dacom.co.kr)
9 Jan 1997 21:52:56 GMT

NotPublic@nowhere.net (Bjorn Pedersen) wrote:

> On 8 Jan 1997 22:25:00 GMT, Michael Plant <sisaki@bora.dacom.co.kr>
> wrote:
>
> >Neanderthal man is now known to be fully human, a recent Scientific American
> >Article showed that a remarkably well preserved Neanderthal body included
> >the fossilzed vocal chords and tongue, showing them to be nearly indentical
> >to modern man's and capable of modern speech.
>
> Do you have the issue number for this Article? I would very much like
> to read it.

No, I'm sorry I don't. It's actually a quote from a reader written locally (here in Korea)
for Hyundai business executives learning to speak English at an in-house training
centre. The writer is the head English instructor. Having read it cover to cover,
it seems to me that the writer's only reference is "Bones of Contention" by Marvin
Lubenow - Baker Books, 1992. I've never seen that book.

Finally, it seems that it's referring to the discovery of a Neanderthal hyoid bone as reported
in Arsenburg et al., Nature 338 (27 April 1989:759 - 60).

That's all I have.

Mike