Re: There are racists; but no races.

Michael Ballard (miballar@leland.Stanford.EDU)
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 15:48:33 -0800

On 7 Jan 1997, Mike Powell wrote:

> Michael Ballard (miballar@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
> : It is generally accepted now that modern humans originated in
> : Africa about 100,000 years ago. Our family tree is rooted in
> : Africa. There is only one race, the human race. Unfortunately
> : though, there are many people who have grown up within a racist
> : system of dogmas and practices which lead them to perpetuate
> : social structures which result in oppression of their fellow
> : workers. More's the pity, as a working class divided will always
> ^^^^^^^
> : be defeated.
>

> There are no "workers", only people (humans) ... who do work.
>
> This is generally accepted (but not by everyone).
>
> -mp-

We do NOT live in a classless society:

The Federal Reserve Bank reports in its triennial Survey of Consumer
Finances that the top 1% of the households combined (total=834,000) own
more stocks, bonds, checking, savings, housing and other real estate
(amount=$5.7 trillion) than the "bottom" 90% of the households combined
(total=84,000,000) who own (amount=$4.8 trillion)

As for what is generally accepted:

The Harris Alienation Index reached a level of 62% in 1996. Respondents
have been asked over the last 30 years to express their feelings about the
following statements: the rich get rich and the poor get poorer; what you
think doesn't count very much anymore; most people with power try to take
advantage of people like yourself; the people running the country don't
really care what happens to you; you are left out of things going on
around you. The Index was at 29% back in 1966 when it was begun and has
increased almost every year since.

Just another human worker,

Mike B)
http://www.iww.org/