Re: Archaic H. sapiens???

Michael McBroom (bodhi@earthlink.net)
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 00:45:17 -0500

debra mckay wrote:

> Maybe someone can confirm or deny this, but I heard from a visiting
> prof (Yaroch--I forget her first name) that Lieberman's reconstruction
> was also based upon the La Chapelle skull, which apparently was not itself
> reconstructed correctly, especially in the area of the basicranium. I
> think the problem is that the basicranium is not as flat as the original
> reconstruction suggested.

I have only one title by Lieberman handy at the moment: _The Biology and
Evolution of Language_ (1984). On page 304 is a chart displaying the
palates and basicrania of several specimens. Those pertaining to
Neanderthal are Gibraltar-1 and La Chapelle-aux-Saints. The Gibralter-1
specimen shows even less flexure than La Chapelle.

Regards,

Michael McBroom
CSUF Linguistics