Re: When did "Eve" live??

Staffan Lindeberg (staffan.lindeberg@dalby.lu.se)
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 02:29:20 +0100

T&B Schmal wrote:

> The interesting thing about eve is that as far as we know she was the last
> ancestor to whom we all can trace our lineage. It is quite likely that a
> more recent common ancestor has existed and will be found (it may be, for
> example, the ancestor who could first speak)...

There must be a misunderstanding. "Eve" has not been "found". She's been
calculated from mitochondrial DNA analysis to have lived around 200,000
years ago. She most certainly could speak unless this ability emerged
independently in two or more lineages which is extremely improbable.

I suggest you check http://www.archaeology.org/9609/abstracts/dna.html

Regards

Staffan Lindeberg M.D. Ph.D.