Re: short question

Michael Plant (sisaki@bora.dacom.co.kr)
1 Jan 1997 01:10:23 GMT

John Carroll <pp001356@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Roger Dodger wrote:
> >
> > Roger Dodger has this to say about that-
> > >Quick question:
> > >
> > > Can anyone post the number of chromosomes of the apes, orang,
> > >chimp, gorilla, bonobo? Thanks.
> >
> > If I remember my biology correctly, the chimp has 22 pairs of
> > chromosomes. Homo sapiens have 23 pairs. I don't know about the
> > others. BTW, orangs, chimps and gorillas are ALL apes. I don't know
> > what a bonobo is.
>
> Well, we agree on Homo sapiens, but if I'm not mistaken, the chimp
> has 24 pairs.
>
> John Carroll

You're right; now I'm trying to remember my biology here but chimps have
24 chromosomes, humans 23 because two chromosomes seem to have fused together.
I can't remember which two chromosomes these are offhand (I'm 6000 miles away
from my library so can't check that easily). The very close similarity between
human and chimp DNA, about 1.6% difference, leads researchers to believe that
they are safe in making this prediction.

Mike