Re: Fossils and Pseudoscience

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
23 Jan 1995 03:19:16 GMT

In article <3fuu86$pep@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Sir CPU <sircpu@aol.com> wrote:
>-In general, the average human will not hold his or her breath
>-for three minutes OR run a four minute mile. Both are
>-achieved by training. However, I am willing to bet that
>-bipedal running is energetically more efficient than swimming.
>-Every child, unless physically disabled, learns to walk and
>-run. Every child does not learn to swim and some people never
>-learn to swim.
>
>- Phil Nicholls
>
>This is not true Phil. I just saw some exercise information the other day
>that said, behide cross country skiiing, running burns more calories than
>any other exercise, and swimming was included in the list, along with
>bicycling and some other activities.
>
>Troy Kelley

That's very interesting, Troy. However, calorie burning is not how
the energetic efficience of an activity is measured. Calorie consumption
measures energy used but not work done. Running burns more calories but
I am willing to bet that the amount of work you get out of those calories
is greater.

--
Philip "Chris" Nicholls Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies SUNY Albany