Re: pseudoscience and fossils

Jonathan E. Feinstein (jfeinstein@umassd.edu)
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 02:35:14 GMT

In article <3fcl5d$oq5@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, patdooley@aol.com (Pat Dooley) writes:

>Of course, I 'm still impressed by the time it took the anthropologists
>to spot Piltdown as a fake, and they certainly had to do a lot of
>rearrange of their time scales when accurate dating methods and
>genetically based dating methods came in.

In all fairness, however, the main reason it took so long to
prove Piltdown was a forgery, is that the specimens were locked up
and few if anyone were allowed to study them. It took even longer to
get permission to subject them to radio-dating. By that time it was
strongly suspected that Piltdown was either a fake or something only
distantly related to modern _H. sapiens_

Jon.
JFeinstein@umassd.edu

Immortality is something you need to grow into.