Re: Hominid fossils FAQ file

Jim Foley (jimf@lennon.FtCollins.NCR.com)
30 Dec 1994 22:11:10 GMT

In article <3e1nv9$ouc@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Steve ThM <stevethm@aol.com> wrote:

>Granted, there are transitional forms within certain species. But can you
>list one clear-cut, completely authenticated transitional form between one
>species and another species? I do not believe you can. If so, please
>file the name of it to me for study.

Lets say Homo habilis, for the sake of argument. It seems to be
intermediate between the australopithecines and us. It's probably
closer to the australopithecines, for all that it is placed in genus
Homo.

Now, you could argue, as creationists do, that this is not transitional,
but is a separate created species. They will accept NOTHING as a
transitional species, because it's either close enough to be considered
the same "kind", or far enough to be considered a different "kind".
Their request for transitional forms is basically dishonest, because
they seem to have a priori decided that there is no such thing.

If you're not doing this, then you are presumably able to accept a
fossil as transitional if it is intermediate between two other species.
If Homo habilis is not transitional, why do you reject it? What would
you accept as a hypothetical intermediate between australopithecines and
humans?

--
Jim Foley (303) 223-5100 x9765
Jim.Foley@FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM NCR-MPD Fort Collins