Re: ANCESTRY QUESTION? cos not sin is responsible :-|

Houle Pierre-Normand (houlep@JSP.UMontreal.CA)
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:23:58 GMT

The following article was posted to the group sci.math!!! :-/
That was a great idea; mathematicians like helping others :-)
Sorry for the quality of my English though, I am a frog ;-P
Please note: *'s below are *mine*
Now lets be serious :-|

billgr@cco.caltech.edu (Joseph G. Billock) writes:

>In article <3hnncm$q71@hammer.msfc.nasa.gov>,
>Mark S. Whorton <whorton@berea.msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>> [ ... ]genetics, and I don't claim to know exactly what happened to the
>>genes of Adam and Eve's children. I simply based my opinions on
>>the principle that *sin* brought about death. [ ... ]

>Perhaps you could explain how *sin* corrupts perfect genes?
> [ ... ]
>is salvageable, but what ends up happening is that you have to claim that
>*sin*, instead of performing the *function of natural selection*--i.e. to
>select for _better_ (more adapted) genomes--performs the _opposite_ function,
>that is, it selects for _worse_ (less well adapted) genomes. Is this
>what you intend?

>-Greg

So, is sin responsible for havoc in the world?

As a mathematician, I would say cos is a better candidate because it has
maximum value at the origin. Since sin has then value 0, it is surely
innocent.

I guess the "function of natural selection" is the function which has
value 1 for every natural number and which has value 0 elsewhere. We,
mathematicians, call it the characteristic function of natural numbers.
I think it is also innocent. Although is has also maximum value at the
origin, it wont keep it long enough to cause evil in the genes of Adam
and Eve.

Hope that helps!

If not, why dont you ask the physicists? :-)

Pierre-Normand Houle
houlep@jsp.umontreal.ca