Re: FWD: Student loans threatened by Congress!!!

cc3265@albnyvms.bitnet
18 Feb 1995 01:25:50 GMT

In article <3hqvb8$h6@wrdis02.robins.af.mil>, wwolfe@robins.af.mil ( Walter C. Wolfe) writes:
>AlineC (alinec@aol.com) wrote:
>: Subject: Student Loan In-School Interest Exemption Threatened!!!
>: From: rosati@access2.digex.net (Anthony Rosati)
>: Date: 24 Jan 1995 05:57:18 GMT
>
>: CONGRESS THREATENS TO CUT GRADUATE/ PROFESSIONAL STUDENT AID BY 9.6
>: BILLION OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS! PROPOSED CUTS WOULD INCREASE
>: GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL STUDENT INDEBTEDNESS BY UP TO 50 PERCENT,
>: RESULTING IN THE LARGEST COST INCREASE IN GRADUATE/PROFESSIONAL
>: EDUCATION IN U.S. HISTORY!
>
>: As part of its federal budget reduction discussion, Congress is
>: considering eliminating the in-school interest exemption for
>: undergraduate and graduate/professional student loans.
>
>: WHAT CAN YOU DO? CALL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS IMMEDIATELY!!!
>
> What else can you do? How about getting a job? Work part-time
>during school and full-time during the summer. Work full time and go
>to school at night. Attend a public college/university in order to
>hold costs down.
>
> There are many people who take responsibility for their own costs,
>without going to the government or getting the money from Mom and Dad.
>I'll be you could, too! I know from personal experience you tend to
>put more effort into schoolwork when you're paying for it yourself.
>
> Welcome to the real world.
>
> WW

Well, I did work part-time through most of my undergrad years, and in the
summer (also attended summer school). But I also needed financial aid. Why?
Because I was (am) raising CHILDREN (not all college students are kids, you
know). I was/am trying to better myself & my job prospects through education
(should have done it before I had them, I know, but I WAS a kid then, not too
bright at the time) -- thought this would be a better alternative than working
at McDonald's all my life and living on food stamps &/or welfare. Sorry I
can't please you and work full-time and go to night school but then I'd never
see my family at all. My Mom & Dad are long dead, so I can't get any money
there -- and I do put alot of effort into my school work -- earned two BA's
in four years, graduated Magna Cum Laude, & am now working on my PhD. Yes, I
still get financial aid -- but I'll have to pay most of it back someday. So
much for all of your theories on this subject. Welcome to the real world
yourself.
CRC