Re: Recent H. Erectus Find in Georgia (Russia)?

JEFFREY K McKEE (055jkms@chiron.wits.ac.za)
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 06:45:39 GMT

In article <1995Feb14.195913.8351@roper.uwyo.edu>
rtravsky@UWYO.EDU (Rich Travsky) writes:

>The current issue of Science News (Feb 11) has a short
>article on a find of a Homo Erectus lower jaw from the nation
>of Georgia. The jaw has been dated to between 1.8 and
>1.6 million years old. ...

>A teaser of an article (to me at least). Is there a fuller
>account to be had?

The original article is in Nature, 9 Feb 1995 (373: 6514), p. 509. Gabunia
and Vekua describe a mandible with an interesting combination of African
and Asian _H. erectus_ features, as well some unique characterstics.
Implications of the find are discussed by Dean and Delson in a support
article on p. 472 (although perhaps slightly biased).

Dr. Jeffrey K. McKee (055JKMS@CHIRON.WITS.AC.ZA)
Hominid Palaeoecology Research Programme
Department of Anatomy and Human Biology
University of the Witwatersrand Medical School
Johannesburg, Gauteng
Republic of South Africa