Re: Yet another Cro Magnon Question

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
11 Feb 1995 13:18:07 GMT

In article <3hgrde$lip@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
SigDowser <sigdowser@aol.com> wrote:
>I have really benefitted from the help given me by people on this
>newsgroup about Cro Magnon. I now know when they lived, where they lived,
>and that they were Homo sapien sapiens.
>
>But what exactly made the Cro Magnons Cro Magnons? What does an
>archaeologist have to find in a grave or habitation site to say, "Cro
>Magnon lived here."?
>

>Sig Lonegren }:-)
>SigDowser@aol.com
>Question Reality

[1] Upper paleolithic tool kit. This means an increase in the number
and type of blade tools over the middle paleolithic tools used by
Neandertals. Some early Homo sapiens used middle-paleolithic tools
and we have at least one site with neandertal remains associated with
an early upper paleolithic stone tool kit.

[2] Modern skulls have a chin, lack the massive supraorbital torus and
midfacial projection of neandertals, have thinner cranial vault bones,
lack a superiniac fossa on the occipit.

--
Philip "Chris" Nicholls Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies SUNY Albany