Re: history questions: meat, siberian land bridge, horses in the Americas

W Letendre (wjl@zipnet.net)
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:45:46 -0500

jimamy@primenet.com wrote:

> W Letendre <wjl@zipnet.net> wrote:
>
> >Horse, mammoth, camel, a few species of sloth, all became extinct in America about
> >11 KYBP, at roughly the same time as Clovis spear points began appearing in
> >America. This has been interpreted as evidence that the arrival of man in New World
> >led to these species becoming extinct through human predation, just as ancient
> >Polynesians killed off the Moa, but this remains an area of considerable
> >controversy.
> >
> > W Letendre
>
> I have heard of evidence regarding mammoth and sloth kills. I'm just
> wondering if there is any direct evidence of horse kills (or camel kills
> for that matter).

AFAIK, no kills for either, in sense of big heaps of bones; just a disappearance of
fossils at about the right strata. Circumstantial at best, and certainly less solid than
the evidence that Paleolithic big game hunters may have killed off the Mammoth.

W Letendre