Re: history questions: meat, siberian land bridge, horses in the Americas

Nippon-Nashville Web Site (nipponwb@nash.mindspring.com)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:51:51 GMT

"Robert I. Morphis" <MORPHIS@NIUHEP.PHYSICS.NIU.EDU> wrote:

>Generally I don't like to expand the number of newsgroups that a post goes
>to but as I am unable and unlikely to make any headway in convincing
>either of the participants below that they are wrong I thought I would
>appeal to more learned folx.

>johnel@ix.netcom.com writes:

>For those coming in late, this does not refer to poor peasantry, but to some
>(IM-not-at-all-HO) mythical time before we learned to throw rocks. I have
>never heard anything that would indicate that any creature that could be
>called Human was strictly vegatarian.

>> > My history teacher,the book was called"Man though the Ages",I had it
>> > last year,10th grade that is,in world history.
>
>> > Colleen
>
>> Ah, those history books!
>> Did you read about the great Sir Francis Drake, or
>> about Francis Drake the Pirate?

>So far so good...

>> And have they decided yet whether or not to
>> stop teaching the well-known falsehood that Native Americans came from
>> Siberia over the "land bridge" ? And are they still teaching that horses
>> were imported to America by the Europeans...?

>Again, I have heard nothing that remotely suggests that these two occurances
>have been challanged in the academic/research community.

>comments please

>Robert
>Morphis@physics.niu.edu

What counter-theories are there to the land bridge and Spanish
introduction of horses? I was not aware of any. If Leaky(sp?) et al.
are right about modern man emerging from his simian(sp?) ancestors in
Africa, the "native Americans" had to come from some other continent
somehow. I believe there are indications that prehistoric horses
(little bitty ones) existed in the Americas but died out. What's
going down, theory-wise?

JCR