Re: speech

morphis@niuhep.physics.niu.edu
16 Dec 1996 16:39:43 GMT

"John Waters" <jdwaters@dircon.co.uk> writes:
>morphis@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote
>> shorty question, what is the speculation on when language came about?
>> Neanderthal? Earlier? Any guesses at what level that language existed
>> in Neanderthal?

>JW: Would you care to define the word *language* here? What
>do you mean by this? How would this compare with a
>(typical) present day hunter gatherer language?

What is typical present day hunter gatherer language?

>Would you care to define the word *language* here?

No. :)

However, in keeping with USEnet tradition of spouting off when
one knows next to nothing...

Verbal communication with "words". Words being distinct sounds having
distinct meanings, e.g. individual sounds that corosponds to preditor
prey, that define size, ....

Possible considerations for above mentioned speculation:
Do all the homonids have the physical aparatus?
Is there a fairly well developed language center in the brain?
if so does it appear that all homonids had room for this part of the brain?
Is there any step change in size of groups?
Is it reasonable to assume that language would allow larger groups
to live together?
How would this be different from herbivore herds?
Are there limits to the size of groups of animals living together based on
herbivore vs. omnivore vs. carnivore
rigidity of pecking order
intellegence
???

Dolphins vs. chimps vs. Elephants

I'm pretty much free associating here, so please don't flame, though
criticisms of any assumptions I may be making here are welcome.

>John.

Robert

specify the e-mail address below, my reply-to: has anti-spam added to it
Morphis@physics.niu.edu
Real Men change diapers