Re: Death of Mary Leakey

Brian W. Haren (bharen@n-link.com)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 13:01:51 -0600

Domingo Martinez-Castilla wrote:

> Group,
>
> Please allow me to share with you the news of Mary Leakey's death, aged
> 83. An admirable woman who did not cherish the limelight and just kept
> working in the field for as long as she could. We owe her a great deal
> in our understanding of human origins.
>
> One of my lucky breaks was to share a 2-hour guided tour, that she
> gave to a Smithsonian group of visitors in 1993, with her as the guide
> at the Kenya National Museum in Nairobi. Smiling, unassuming,
> good-natured (as opposed to her legendary harshness when fieldwork was
> at stake), she did not mind I joined the bunch. What a woman.
>
> Let us hope we have more like her.
>
> Domingo Martinez-Castilla
> agdndmc@showme.missouri.edu

Domingo,

I logged onto this newsgroup for the first time in many months, in large
part to read what I was sure would be a large number of tributes and
personal recollections of the late Dr. Leaky. Instead, I find posting
after posting of rediculous arguments over finding human fossils in coal
deposits, lessons on pyramid construction, etc.

I'll check back in a few more months to see if sanity has been restored.