Re: history questions: meat, siberian land bridge, horses in the Americas

E Douglas Kihn (vivacuba@ix.netcom.com(E)
14 Dec 1996 16:24:25 GMT

In <32B25A9B.785C@uwyo.edu> Rich Travsky <rtravsky@uwyo.edu> writes:

>Tuohy wrote:
>> [...]
>>>For those coming in late, this does not refer to poor peasantry, but
>>>to some (IM-not-at-all-HO) mythical time before we learned to throw
>>>rocks. I have never heard anything that would indicate that any
>>>creature that could be called Human was strictly vegatarian.
>>
>>Before we learned to hunt we were.Sure this was a long time ago,and
we
>>all ran around naked,and this is before fire.But it happened.
>
>"Before we learned to hunt"? How much is needed to accomplish that?
>even chimps have learned to hunt.
>
>Nor does your scenario address scavenging and finds of opportunity.
>I sincerely doubt early humans would pass up a free meal.
>
>> [...]
>
>+----------+ Rich Travsky RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU
>| | Division of Information Technology
>| | University of Wyoming (307) 766 - 3663 / 3668
>| UW | "Wyoming is the capital of Denver." - a tourist
>| * | "One of those square states." - another tourist
>+----------+ http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/
Another argument against humans as herbivors: We are not designed to
graze on grass, leaves and bark all day. We have stomach acid, the
ONLY purpose of which is to process animal protein. If you are
designed to do something, you had better do it or you won't run right.
If you have stomach acid, you had better eat meat (like our chimp
cousins) or you be become weak, cold, and pale like Colleen.

Dr. Doug