Re: Yumpin' Yiminy! Conrad and Holden are taking over!

Toby Cockcroft (hegeman@wchat.on.ca)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 03:18:49 -0400

In article <58rnv3$6rl@news.ptd.net>, edconrad@prolog.net (Ed Conrad) wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~

>Ho! Ho! Ho!
>
>Not just funny but rather hilarious, Ben, was the time your University
>of California/Berkeley sent a notarized letter informing me that the
>package of four specimens that I, in good faith, had sent its Museum
>of Paleontology for testing NEVER arrived.
>
>Was that a fried or scrambled egg on its face when an inspection of
>records inside the Berkeley Post Office, by postal officials, resulted
>in the discovery of evidence -- a signed receipt -- that the package
>indeed had been delivered and signed for by a member of its staff?.
>
>Ho! Ho! Ho!

Sorry for the rude awakening Ed but I think that it was just their way of
letting you down easy. Yes they received your "samples" and yes they
inspected them and yes they found your "evidence" to be utter garbage.
When you insisted on phoning they didn't have the heart to tell you that
you were completely wrong in your analysis so they told you that they had
never received your "evidence." Determined as you were in the validity of
your "specimens," because you had already decided they were prior to
sending them away for a second opinion, you concluded, falsely, that they
must have covered up the evidence in order to protect their positions. No
matter what the outcome of any tests that may have been done you would
only be satified with one answer; one that agreed with your
preconclusions, anything else was a result of ignorance, subterfuge or
conspiracy. This is not good science Ed. You must be willing to accept
answers that may not agree with you hypothesis, scientists do it every
day. I assure you had your samples been authentic you would have been
told.

On an aside, your methodology sounds flawed to me. You can't simply dig
something up and send it off for analysis. Context is everything, without
it any result would be suspect. Perhaps you did not provide enough data
to situate your find. I suspect your documentation was faulty and the
methods you used to retreive the "evidence" suspect.

Toby

Toby R. G. Cockcroft MA (in progress)
Dept. Of Anthropology
Univerity of Western Ontario