Re: Paraphyly of apes

Matt Fraser (
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 21:25:45 -0500

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, T. Mike Keesey wrote:

> Does anyone have any references for the idea that apes as a group are
> paraphyletic, with some closer to humans than others? Specifically
> something along the lines of:
> ((gibbons, siamangs), (orangutans, (gorillas, chimps, humans)))
> I need some refs for an assignment.
> And for my own curiosity: How would this idea affect the names of
> supergeneric taxa among Hominoidea?

For a different take, check out Jeff Schwartz. His conclusion is that
Pongo and Hominids form a clade that excluded Pan, Gorilla and the
Hylobatids. He published a book on it, but I forget the name of it.
Maybe someone else remembers. He actually has some pretty good arguments.

Matt Fraser "Hey, You! Don't help them
To bury the Light. Don't give in Without a Fight."
Pink Floyd