Re: Paraphyly of apes

Matt Fraser (mof@prophet.pharm.pitt.edu)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 21:25:45 -0500

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, T. Mike Keesey wrote:

> Does anyone have any references for the idea that apes as a group are
> paraphyletic, with some closer to humans than others? Specifically
> something along the lines of:
> ((gibbons, siamangs), (orangutans, (gorillas, chimps, humans)))
>
> I need some refs for an assignment.
>
> And for my own curiosity: How would this idea affect the names of
> supergeneric taxa among Hominoidea?

For a different take, check out Jeff Schwartz. His conclusion is that
Pongo and Hominids form a clade that excluded Pan, Gorilla and the
Hylobatids. He published a book on it, but I forget the name of it.
Maybe someone else remembers. He actually has some pretty good arguments.

Matt

Matt Fraser "Hey, You! Don't help them
To bury the Light.
mof@prophet.pharm.pitt.edu Don't give in